Definitions & Terminology - Sean Kriegler Sean Kriegler

So what do all these terms mean, hopefully we can dispel myth and confusion here. I will try to give the international meanings and terminology. This is an organic list which will grow with the site

  • Anhedral: This is the opposite of dihedral. When a model is viewed from the front, the downward angle of wing tips from the center to the wing tip is anhedral. This makes for a less stable but more maneuverable aircraft.
  • Incidence: This is a wings angle attack relative to the fuselages center line or Longitudinal axis. By the setting a positive incidence, it  allows the aircraft to sit flat when in straight and level flight. A modeller will usually use an incidence meter to set and check the angles of the wing and horizontal stabiliser. Robart makes an excellent jeweled movement incidence meter.
  • Scale: Scale in modeller terms has two meanings:
    • Aircraft scale; i.e.: 1/5th scale, this is the size in relation to the real deal. In this case it’s one fifth the size of the real aircraft. This can be displayed on the plan as 1:5 or similar. On the model plan, 10mm would be conversely equal to 50mm on the real aircraft.
    • Scale or Sport scale: this refers to whether an aircraft accurately follows or closely follows the correct proportions, locations and details of the real plane. E.g.: A great way to enhance a plane is a scale cockpit. This Means the cockpit should closely or be identical to the real aircraft, although the rest of the aircraft maybe sport scale, to enhance the aircraft’s flying capabilities
  • Office Pins: Available at your local stationary store more like a miniature clout nail. Work like a charm and can be hammered into your work bench. Or at least I do this. This is my favourite pin for this reason, and once done I toss them in a cup for later recycling.
  • T-Pins: These are the best for pushing with your hands and cheap at the local dress maker store or haberdashery. I leave these attached to a rare earth magnet on the work bench. They are called T-pins because the head is shaped like a T.
  • Dressmakers Pins: There are two type of these one with a plastic and a glass bead. If putting pressure on these the plastic beads tend to break and cause loads of pain. They are nice if you are pinning objects that require extra reach as these are longer then normal pins.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.